Thames & Severn

The Thames and Severn Canal was completed in 1789. Its eastern end is Inglesham Lock near Lechlade where it connects with the River Thames.

Its western end is Wallbridge near Stroud, where it connects with the end of the Stroudwater Navigation. The canal had one short arm from Siddington to the town of Cirencester.

The canal was built to accommodate Severn Trows, which were 68ft x 16ft, from the Severn to Brimscombe Port and Thames Barges, which were 90ft x 12ft, from the Port to the Thames. One of the original purposes of the Port was to facilitate the transfer of goods between the two types of craft.

Page link: Capels Mill site
Capels Mill site
Canal Reconstruction
Category link: Brimscombe
Brimscombe
Brimscombe port on the Thames and Severn Canal