Key Historical Facts for Teachers - The Stroudwater Navigation

Information

By Lois Francis

When was the Stroudwater Navigation built?

It is difficult to state exactly when the canal was built as there had been many ideas and attempts at improving transport links from the River Severn to the River Thames and more specifically Bristol to London, from the early 1600’s. The River Frome (sometimes referred to as the Stroudwater) underwent a number of schemes to improve the navigation from the River Severn to Stroud, hence the name of the final canal company that built the canal that we know today – The Company of Proprietors of the Stroudwater Navigation.

There were three attempts to build a canal in the sense that there were three Acts that went before Parliament -

  • 1730 – There was opposition from some mill owners – others actually wanted the navigation. The Act was never approved.
  • 1759 – An Act passed to allow a navigation without any locks to appease the mill owners. Cargo was transferred from one boat to another known as transhipment.  This occurred at Ryeford  and Brimscombe and lead to the growth of Brimscombe as a port. Work was started but the scheme failed, resulting in financial ruin.
  • 1776 – This was the Act that approved the present Stroudwater Navigation. It was a conventional canal with locks. There was no transhipment on this canal, which was completed in 1779.
  • The Stroudwater Navigation was opened in 1779 at the same time as the American War of Independence was being fought. The need for cheap coal in large quantities, finally drove the company to build an independent canal to allow the clothiers of Stroud to continue their lucrative craft.

 

Why was improved water navigation necessary?

  • The woollen industry was well established by the mid 16th century with many mills situated at the foot of the  scarp slope of the Cotswold hills, where mill owners could take advantage of water to power the huge hammers that pounded the cloth from the loom to shrink it and felt it.
  • The woollen industry grew here because of the huge flocks of sheep that had grazed the Cotswolds since medieval times. In the Middle Ages merchants came from as far away as Italy to buy the local wool. This was a rich agricultural area, but depended on livestock not arable.
  • Most of the woollen cloth trade relied on packhorses  – one of the advantages of the canal, was the huge saving in animal and transport costs. A packhorse could carry about 1/8th ton – a barge on the Stroudwater could move 50 tons with a single horse.
  • Early factories were all water powered when the canal was built. The early mills were all fulling mills but by the end of the 18th century mills began to include spinning and weaving. Handloom spinners and weavers who usually worked from home, were eventually forced out of their homes to work in the mills. Hence the handloom weaver riots.
  • The Stroudwater eventually linked the River Severn to the Thames and Severn Canal and thence to London.
  • Roads were impassable in winter because all goods were moved by pack animals, which easily became bogged down in mud.
  • Water transport was able to carry heavier loads, faster and more efficiently.
  • The clothiers needed to cut costs as the Yorkshire textile industry was gaining strength.
  • Cloth making in the Stroud area increased as the quality of the cloth was highly sought after across the World.

Why is the Canal where it is?

  • The Stroudwater Canal, along with the Thames and Severn Canal links the River Severn and the River Thames, thus providing a link from the Port of Bristol through to London.
  • More coal was needed for growing towns. The other factor was the need to move cloth.
  • Puddling clay could be obtained from the River Frome and then mixed with water to ensure that the bed of the canal was watertight. Thus a very important material used in the building of the canal could be found close to the route of the canal.
  • There were no major problems connected with construction on the Stroudwater, because few locks were needed or substantial cuttings and embankments as the route mostly followed or used the River Frome. A tunnel was only necessary, when the Thames and Severn canal was constructed.
  • Framilode was chosen as the lock out onto the River Severn, because there was trading in coal already established on the Severn mostly from the Midland coalfields and because the River Frome entered the River Severn at that point.
  • Bullo Pill was establishing as a trading wharf for coal and tree bark used in tanning from the Forest of Dean.
  • The River Frome had already been improved for navigation.
  • The route of the canal did not cut through any established settlements. Most of the land used was pasture and orchard.
  •  The lock-out site was chosen as the water was deep enough for boats to pass onto the canal even at low tide. Also the Purnell family owned a tin mill at the mouth of the River Frome and so the company was unwilling to be in dispute with them over water rights.



How was the canal built?

  • As with all canals, the Stroudwater was designed to ensure that water did not flow in the canal, and so was designed to follow the contours of the landscape within the valley of the River Frome.
  • Locks were built where the land levels changed and a flight at Eastington took five locks to cope with the change of level.
  • Some locks were built of local brick and some of stone. Indeed, some of the clay for the bricks was obtained from the bed of the canal and the River Frome. The lock walls were capped with stone to counter weathering and erosion from the grit in ropes used by the boats and had stone foundations.
  • Stone was brought from Hanham in Bristol, Chepstow and Tintern.
  • Timber was brought from Blakeney and Upton-on –Severn. This was used for lock gates, built by the company carpenters.
  • All the digging was accomplished by local workers, digging by hand. Later on, canal companies employed professional ‘navvies’ from the term ‘navigators’.
  • To ensure that water did not seep through the bed of the canal, the navvies trod the blue clay mixed with water, found in the Frome valley to ‘puddle’ it (to make it malleable enough to work). They then lined the canal bed with the clay to ensure the bed did not leak.
  • The sides of the Stroudwater are not piled and so often the slopes on the canal banks needed to be rampered i.e trodden in so that they didn’t move. Quite often a herd of sheep or cows might be used to do this. (Rampering). 
  • To keep the canal supplied with water, the Company of   Proprietors were allowed to take water from the Frome, provided that this did not leave the mill owners without water. 
  • The company used bricks to build bridges, aqueducts, warehouses, lock chambers, lock houses, and to line the canal bed. The warehouses would be used for the storage of cheese from the Severn valley and tobacco and sugar from Bristol.
  • The master of each cutting team was paid a set amount for each square yard of canal dug.
  • The canal was dug to a depth of six feet.
  • Streams crossing the canal were either redirected or culverted under the canal bed.

How was the canal used?

  • The canal was specifically built for use by ‘trows’ (rhymes with ‘crows’) Many times the boat was also hauled by men. It would take a day to haul a boat from the River Severn to Stroud.
  • Trows were the favoured boat, because they had sails, which were used on the River Severn. The sails could be used along the canal until the boat had to pass through locks.
  • In 1825, because of pressure from the Thames and Severn canal and because the Gloucester, Berkeley canal was under construction, the Company of Proprietors agreed to adapt the tow path for use by horses, which then gave rise to the use of the Stroud barges as well as trows.
  • Withies were another source of income for the company. They were grown in small fields and sold to itinerant basket makers. Before the use of plastic, baskets were used on farms and in the textiles industry. Indeed, even coal was delivered in baskets.
  • The canal was used for boat building in Framilode, Saul Junction, Cainscross, Dudbridge, Eastington, Stonehouse, Whitminster, and Stroud.
  • Timber would be taken to the Midlands, with coal carried on the return journey.
  • When a town gas works was built in Stroud, the pipes were dug under the towpath and the by-products of the works, coke and tar, taken back down the canal.

The Second World War

  • As preparations for war, a ‘Stopline’ of defences was built from Highbridge to Stroud, along natural and man-made waterways. These defences were built to defend Bristol but the idea was abandoned in 1940.
  • The RAF had a maintenance unit in Wycliffe College boathouse at Saul Junction. This was to maintain air-sea rescue launches, which were moored along the Stroudwater arm at Saul Junction. Walk bridge was also used to replace engines in the boats when necessary.

See also - The RAF at Saul Junction (page_id__124.aspx)





This page was added by Iris Capps on 19/04/2010.
Comments about this page

Would be interested in knowing more about the men that built these canals (Navvies?) I have an ancestor (William Collins) who appears in the Cotswolds (Blockley) toward the end of the 1700's and I have been unable to trace him any earlier. Could he have been an Irish Navvy who settled locally after working on the canals?

By Mike Collins
On 24/10/2010

Hi Mike. I am a volunteer researcher with the Company of Proprietors archive and we have found evidence of Mr Lingard being sent to Leicestershire and Warwickshire to find workers in 1776, but,as yet, have not found any mention of Irish workers, specifically. I have a feeling that perhaps some of these workers might have come from Ireland, as men travelled around from canal to canal, but have no evidence yet.

By Lois Francis
On 10/07/2012

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.