Inglesham Lock in pictures

Photographs of Inglesham Lock

By Gill Redford

Inglesham lies just south of Lechlade and is the place where the Thames and Severn Canal meets the River Thames.

Inglesham Roundhouse was built in 1790; it was one of five built along the Thames and Severn Canal in the same year.  The other four were at Chalford, Coates, Cerney Wick and Marston Meysey.  They were built as watchmen's cottages, and were made of rubble stone covered with plaster and stucco.

All photographs on this page are reproduced with kind permission of Mike Mills.  To see modern photographs of the Roundhouse, click here to go to the 'Cotswold Canals - a photographic survey' website.

To see our article about the Inglesham Roundhouse and Lock restoration, click here.

Photo:Inglesham Roundhouse and bridge

Inglesham Roundhouse and bridge

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Pound at Inglesham, looking west

Pound at Inglesham, looking west

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Inglesham Roundhouse and locks

Inglesham Roundhouse and locks

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Inglesham Roundhouse with people beside the lock

Inglesham Roundhouse with people beside the lock

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Inglesham Roundhouse

Inglesham Roundhouse

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Footbridge to the warehouse and Roundhouse

Footbridge to the warehouse and Roundhouse

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Parkend Wharf at Lechlade, which is now a bed and breakfast

Parkend Wharf at Lechlade, which is now a bed and breakfast

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:Canal agent's house, Lechlade, circa 1940

Canal agent's house, Lechlade, circa 1940

Courtesy of Mike Mills

Photo:A Thames and Severn Canal milestone

A Thames and Severn Canal milestone

Courtesy of Mike Mills

This page was added by Gill Redford on 16/07/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.